 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 245
244  |  246
Subject:
New MegaBloks set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:11:08 GMT

On Sunday I picked up a small MegaBloks Model Team-esque Tank for $9.99.  It's
roughly minifig scale and with a little modification could have a cool
interior cabin.
  The set had 304 pieces, most of them dark, military green, as well as 12
wheels and two treads.  The treads are rubber more flexible than the ones that
come with Lego's Tread Trekker, but I haven't seen the newer Lego treads and
can't make a comparison.
  The design is really cool and uses a minimum of specialized pieces.  The
majority are 2x4 bricks and plates, as well as a number of 2x2 slopes and 3x2
inverted slopes.  My only complaint is that the barrel is made of 1-by-x
plates, whereas I would have preferred a more round look.
  I'll try to get a more precise piece inventory if anyone's interested.  In
terms of piece per price value, as well as the overall cleverness of design,
I'd say this set at least equals any Lego offering so far this year, but I
recognize that I have a generally favorable bias to clones. Still, considering
that last year's Naboo Swamp had 84 pieces for the same price...

     Dave!