 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2431
Re: so, a quick poll for you.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mark Neumann wrote:
   So uh, do you think that Lego will have a problem with this:

Taken from an online store.

Especially when you compare it with:
Set number 6256?

I thought Lego just came down on this company for ripping off it’s product? Link to pertinant thread.

Hmmm, case of don’t care so try again? Would selling from a different reseller/importer make a difference? This seller is in Hong Kong so that may create some kind of loop hole? (but I doubt it.)

Interesting.
Looks as if you were wanting to get a copy of this stuff there is a venue by which to get it.

Hi Mark: As far as I know, this particular knock-off set is at least a few years old, so I’d think that it was probably included in the recent lawsuit (and should have been discontinued, I suppose). I’m not familiar with this online seller, however; is it possible that this set represents some stock previously distributed by the wholesaler but still in the retailer’s inventory? Maybe is just old stuff that hasn’t been liquidated yet?

I’m not sure about the difference that a change of reseller/importer might make from a legal standpoint, but I wonder if this is just a case of a seller who has stock and hopes to liquidate it regardless of the case against the supplier?

Thanks for the info in any case. Pirated products hurt both LEGO and LEGO’s legitimate competitors, and I’d be happy to see them vanish. On the other hand, “Brick” obviously has some skill at mold-machining, and they do engage in some original set design, so I don’t know why they can’t simply shift their focus to making a legitimate competitor brand.

Dave!