 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2320
Re: Shifty set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:25:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
In a local shop I noticed a Shifty set, a copy of Lego 1761:
I bought it, just to see what it was, and found:
[snip]
[snip]
Though I am surpriced, how this copy can be on European market (is this
allowed?). Probably from the time before EU, I hope that I will not see more
of this. I have seen COBI and Megablocks, at least they create their own
lines, but this Shifty (also named Enlighten) beats all.

They're pretty awful alright. I've only seen a couple Shifty sets, and it looks
like not only do they make mistakes on their boxes, but there's a typo in their
name ;)

I *thought* these were a 'China-only' brand, and even then were iffy, so I'm
pretty suprised to see them appear in the EU. Someone I know tried to buy one
off of Ebay (again, just to check it out), but the item had to be removed from
Ebay due to the copyright infringement by Shifty on Lego (no violation by the
seller, I don't think).

Wow!  I've seen all kinds of bootleg stuff on Ebay, but this is the first time
I've heard of a removal due to copyright infringement.  I can't find any other
current Shifty auctions, so maybe Ebay is on the lookout for the ersatz brand.

Just wondering should I build the copy? Or just throw it away?

I'll probably keep it, for use in exhibitions.

I'd say keep it as a shining example of the horrificness of clones.

It would be a nice side-by-side comparison to show how bad they can be.

I think Shifty wins the prize for "Worst Clone Brand".

As far as compatible brands go (base on my earlier 2x4 brick metric (which may
be ignored at the reader's option!)), Shifty is definitely first of the worst.
Ultra-Blox and Bricks By The Pound are both close, but they use a softer grade
of plastic and don't seem to foster any illusions about their brand legitmacy.

Dave!