 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2276
2275  |  2277
Subject:
USS Nimitz spotted at Wal*Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:58:51 GMT

I found set 9795 at a Wal*Mart in Western PA over the weekend. The price was $49.99, which, if memory serves, was the MSRP of the Kittyhawk set a few years back. Here are a few observations:

The design of the Nimitz is vastly different from the Kittyhawk, in terms of the constituent bricks. Whereas the Kittyhawk made use of black 8x12 half-brick-height tiles for the flight deck, the Nimitz uses an abundance of 1x2, 2x2, and 4x4 plate-height tiles, so you get a more versatile selection of pieces. Also, the Nimitz features retractable blast-shields (not sure of what they’re really called) to deflect jet exhaust on take-off, a nice detail absent from the Kittyhawk. Also, the Nimitz includes the newish 2x2 turntable plates for gun mounts. The mast-tower appears to be the same as the one used in the recent Destroyer.

Naturally, the bulk of the 1400 pieces in the Nimitz are gray, with a good number of black as well. The set also includes several one-piece miniature jets, which I believe are identical to the ones included with the Kittyhawk.

The box was well designed and was more square than the Kittyhawk box, which seems like smart marketing to me; if you don’t take up as much shelf space, the retailer will probably be more willing to showcase your stuff. The back of the box had thumbnail pictures of the forthcoming Steam Locomotive and the two new NASCAR ProBuilder sets, the latter of which retail for about $13.00. Also, the box had an emblem on the top-right corner proclaiming some award that MEGABLOKS had won, or perhaps ProBuilder in general, or maybe even this particular kit. I’m not familiar with the award, but I don’t really track the industry, either.

One last note--the Kittyhawk and Battleship sets had concealed wheels to allow the ships to “sail” across the floor. These were the old-style treaded wheels as shown in this picture. The Destroyer and Nimitz use the smooth-style wheels like the ones shown here. Not a big deal, but it caught my attention.

If someone grabs this set, please post a review!

Dave!