 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2221
2220  |  2222
Subject:
Minimates JLA found!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:49:23 GMT

Hi All:
  I just grabbed the Minimates "Batwing" set at KMart, of all places, for
$19.99.  With just 110 pieces, it's not a great bargain, but I wanted to be the
first kid on my block.  They also had the "Bat-Glider" set for $9.99, but I
didn't pick that one up.

I haven't yet built it, but my first impressions are favorable.  There are a
good number of non-LEGO-based parts, particularly the 4 round wing elements, 2
pairs of engine cowlings, the cockpit assembly, 2 missile launchers, 2 attitude
control flap assemblies, and 2 upright, hinge-mounted batwing-style tail pieces.
Most of the set is dark gray and midnight blue, with clear cockpit glass, red
missiles, and yellow & black detail painting.

Observiations:  The plate:brick height ratio is the same 1:3 as LEGO,  and the
plastic quality is about on par with MEGABLOKS (make of that what you will).
The corner studs of most pieces have an embossed "C3" logo, which is either an
allusion to some kind of plastic explosive or a brand signifier (I'm guessing
the latter).  Clutch power is good, and the color consistency is also very well
controlled.  Along with the aforementioned specialized elements, the set
features a good assortment of basic pieces, including the plates 1x1, 1x3, 2x4,
and 4x6 and the bricks (called "blocks" by this brand) 1x2, 1x3, 1x8, and 2x4.
There are also 1x2, 1x3, 2x2, and 2x3 slopes, both regular and inverse, and a
1x2 tile.  Finally, the set comes with several other slope and hinge elements,
as well as a 4x4 rounded corner plate.  I suppose that all of these parts are
free of patent restrictions, or at least that they've been judged okay by the
powers that be, or else LEGO would have acted against the numerous other clone
brands that make use of them.  I suppose we'll see.

At a glance, the worst part of the set is the Batman minifig.  I'm sure the
minimates design will appeal to some buyers, but the aesthetic is totally lost
on me.  On the plus side, he comes with both pilot gear and regular Batman
hood/cape.  Without either of these, he's a bald, flat-headed, and pissed-off
Bruce Wayne, but can you blame him?

The instruction booklet is good, with a numbered parts inventory and clear steps
with an inset showing the parts added at each step.  The set includes a long
list of copyright holders, and the company appears at least partially based in
Hong Kong and China.

Another annoying thing--no catalog is included.  A few sets are shown on the
back of the box, but I'm not a box saver.  Hmf.  Other than that, the box gives
a nice presentation of the set.

Aside from the piece:price ratio, I'd give this set a good review.  I'm not a
big fan of comics or superhero cartoons anymore, but I think that this could be
a good marketing idea, if they support it with follow-up releases.

Dave!