 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2216
2215  |  2217
Subject:
New MEGABLOKS, and thoughts on Nano
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:07:18 GMT

First things first--my local KMart, which usually debuts “new” products a year or so after they hit the market, surprised me yesterday with several new Dragons, Just Build, and ProBuilder sets on the shelves. I was so surprised that I don’t have good details (as if I ever do, on the first attempt), but here’s some rough info:

Several new “War Chest” style sets for the Dragons line, with new Vorgan figures and probably knew Knights. These retail for about $5.00 and include a small number of bricks, two or three figures, and weapons. I’ve also seen the Fire and Ice “Dragon Egg” sets, but I’m not really interested in them. The Eggs are worthless to me, and the sets include little more than the Dragons themselves.

ProBuilder has apparently picked up where the previous NASCAR license left off. NASCAR means nothing to me, but at least they now include minifig-scale drivers. I don’t know if the helmets are removable, but they look cool, other than the NASCAR pieces-of-flair all over them. There are at least several different sets in basically the same design, each reflecting a certain driver and vehicle.

And here are a few that I didn’t see on the shelves, but which appear to be forthcoming.

From the Dragons line, I see new offerings here, here (I think), here, and here.

In addition to the NASCAR sets, ProBuilder has this F-22 and this Nimitz Aircraft Carrier on the horizon, in addition to the Warthog and Army Chopper sets already available. The site doesn’t have any images of the USS Enterprise as yet. However, I mentioned another great-looking set here that makes use of the command module POOP from the ProBuilder Space Shuttle.

You can browse the various MEGABLOKS products on the site starting with this page.

I also picked up one of the Nano sets. I’ll admit, they’re pretty cool, even if the dimensions aren’t proportional to conventional MEGABLOKS or LEGO. the clutch power is good, and the design of the set was clever. However, to me, these sets are basically the equivalent of Tente or some other non-compatible clone brand. I have no interest in pursuing another brand if that brand won’t work with the ton of bricks I already have in my attic. The Nano sets aren’t bad, but they’re not for me. If someone else wants to render the parts for LDraw, I say go ahead!

Dave!