 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2055
Re: DC licenses Art Asylum to make Batman/JLA construction sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 03:31:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Joel Jacobsen wrote:
http://www.americandreamcomics.com/index.php?catid=10&itemid=2506

This came out yesterday. From the pictures they look like a cross between
Kubrick and Belville styled figs, at least joint wise.

They are roughly the size of Kubricks, i.e. a little bigger than standard
mini-fig size.

Looking at some of the (1) images with bricks and pieces, it would appear
they're making them at least somewhat compatible with LEGO or other construction
bricks.

Play Along Toys is affiliated (in what fashion, I don't know) with Art Asylum,
which is the principal manfacturer of the figures (and presumably the bricks,
but I don't really know).

Art Asylum has had a Marvel license for a year now; the Marvel Mini-mates have
been out for almost that long.  The Marvel figures are straight figure releases,
sold in 2-packs or multi-packs with no bricks.  The DC product line-up, marketed
as construction sets, stems from the fact that Mattel currently holds the master
action figure license for many DC properties, so issuing as "construction sets"
gets around the fact that AA/Play Along don't have access to that license.
(Otherwise I'm 100% sure they would just issue straight figure sets.)

While it's cool, it's also disappointing. After so many talented folks around
LUGNET/Brickshelf/Bricklink have made Marvel, DC and other comic related figures
quite convincingly out of LEGO, and to see LEGO license Spiderman, to then find
the equally popular DC heroes being licensed to a company that isn't currently
known for construction sets and bricks (so far as I know anyway). Of course
there's always more behind the scenes that we may know nothing of.

The brick component is new, but AA has been doing "block figures" for a couple
years now, and is one of the more successful at latching onto the trend.  I
remain skeptical of their ability to pull off "the brick," but they have solidly
established their rep in the mini-figure-alike market, anyway.

I guess I should be happy someone's making them at all...but I can't help
feeling cheated. They're bigger than minifig scale, even if they do seem to have
at least halfway decent articulation..bah.

Not just different from Lego scale, but NONE of the "block figure" makers have
really gotten together on the scale or style issue.  *shrug*...

Kevin