 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1955
1954  |  1956
Subject:
Cool new hinge element
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:33:36 GMT

My local Target has the MEGABLOKS Power Rangers “Zord” sets on sale for $5.50, down from $7.99, so I bought the Dolphin Zord. The main (and obvious) shortcoming of the set is the entirely juniorized head element, but the set still has a piececount of 65, so the price isn’t too bad even with the juniorization. The set is almost entirely robin’s-egg-blue (as has previously appeared in the pastel-neon basic buckets) and dull-chrome, with white and yellow whighlights on the various “fin” elements. Around the neck of the Dolphin is a two-piece toothed wheel whose more general application eludes me at the moment. Also included is the Blue Ranger figure and a weird megaphone-ish gun of some kind.

The set also has a new 1x4 plate with vertical clips at either end, and a new hinge element that really surprised me. It works with a long-existing MEGABLOKS part (c020104f.dat in the clone library) as shown here (you might need to hit refresh if you’re seeing some 4x4 tile/plates).

What I like about this is that it’s a creative extension of an existing part, and I’m always glad to see new hinge elements.

Overall, the set was worth $5.50, even though I’m not a Power Rangers fan. I just hope that this new hinge starts showing up in other sets in a range of colors.

Dave!