 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1783
Re: Mega Bloks wins over LEGO in Canada legal battle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:31:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Steve Tanner wrote:
I caught this in a blog today, didn't know if it was relevant to anything...

------
Mega Bloks has prevailed over Lego in the Federal Court of Appeal in Canada in a
matter regarding the look and feel of the studs and its interlocking toy blocks.
The Mega/Lego dispute has been going on for some time.

http://trademark.blog.us/blog/2003/07/15.html#a709

Thanks for the link.  LEGO seems perpetually to have lawsuits against Mega Bloks
swirling through the ether, and I don't think that they've won any patent
infringement cases thus far.  I believe that TLG was successful in requiring MB
to stop making the "compatible with LEGO" on their products, but I can't find a
citation for that at the moment.
   If nothing else, cases such as this and the recent ruling in China against
Coko show us that Mega Bloks has greater business savvy than some other clone
brands.  This, coupled with their ingenious set designs, suggests that MB truly
represents a longterm competitor in the construction toy market.

     Dave!