 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1652
Re: MB lime green dirt bike
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Jeff Szklennik writes:
At the Keene, NH Wal*Mart, I saw a new MB set-a lime green dirt bike in with
the other $10 (US) sets; the go-kart & the yellow & blue high-speed bike.

  Mine had it on sale (or Rollback, or whatever) for $7.88.  It's not a
terrible set, with 200 pieces, but it's not great.  The main body of the
bike, as well as the front fork and whatever the back "fork" is called are
each one-piece elements, which is kind of disappointing.  The wheels are
cool but of limited general utility.  The rear wheel is slightly smaller
than the front, and they're both detailed with spokes and axle assemblies,
as well as knobby rubber tires.  The downside is that they have axle pegs
the same size as the bottom part of a 1x1 round brick, and these can't very
easily used in other applications.  There are also three lengths of vinyl or
rubber tubing and and a two-part exhaust pipe.  Most of the bricks are neon
lime-green, with some white, black, and dull-chrome elements as well.  One
particularly cool part is a 2x2 round tile grill in dull-chrome.  I have
several of these in trans-yellow, and I just love the look of it.
  The kit comes with a standard instruction booklet with a graphic parts
inventory, a decal sheet, and a catalog (which doesn't include the set
itself, of course!)  I haven't built the bike yet, but one nice touch is the
inclusion of "bonus parts for rough play," which amount to handlebar grips
made of one piece each, rather than several 1x1 round plates.
  It's kind of a cool set overall, and for the money I'm really not
disappointed.  It's in the ProBuilder series, apparently of the same ilk as
the Bradley and the black fighter jet also in the $10 range.

     Dave!