 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1461
1460  |  1462
Subject:
My new Oxfords
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:50:26 GMT

Yup- got my order in
I ordered the tank and the smallest Double Dragon set from Etamiya.com.
Heres some pics-
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bi...gi?f=25474
and heres what I think-
OVERALL IMPRESSION
Not bad- the boxes were smaller than I expected, but unlike Lego who uses
huge packaging for a relatively small amount of Bricks, the boxes were
packed full of bricks. Also, I really liked the quality of the inner
box/sleeve. Both Lego and Megabloks have trended towards flimsy cardboard
with weird configurations that make it impossible to dump your bricks out
into. But obviously Oxford anticipated this and made the packaging
accordingly. As for the quality of the bricks- so far I give them an A+. The
plastic is well made and fits together very well. It doesn't survive the
drop test very well  , but then very few of my kits have. The bricks fly
completely apart.
Oxford seems to go for a slightly smaller scale. The hands on the figs are
way loose- too loose. If I'm going to use these things for film-making, I
need to find a way to tighten these hands up. Right now, the spin freely,
which is no good.
DOUBLE DRAGON
Pretty cool- the Dragon looks like a 2 headed mutant version of a Lego
dragon. No wonder Lego don't like these guys! The knight and demons look
like they came straight out of a Jap-anime. Cool weapons- got a set of 4
chrome swords that are almost identical to the Lego versions. The demon
weapons come in a distinctive brown color and have some nice variations like
the arabic style sword and the horned skull staff. The bricks themselves are
very lego-like, though some seem slightly smaller than their lego
counterparts, like the castle wall piece. The heads on the figs are slightly
larger than lego minifig heads, so that the helmets are not quite
interchangable. Bummer. The cape and flags are some kind of cross between
plastic and paper- not the cloth Lego uses. I don't expect it to last too
long. The stickers are about the same quality as those that come with
megabloks- but not quite as sticky, so if you get it wrong the first time,
it's easier to peel it off and try again. I like the styles AND it seems to
come with a universal sticker sheet that includes stickers that are meant
for the other Double Dragon sets. I love a good bonus! And some of these
demon stickers are pretty cool...
Conclusion- I love these demons (and so does my son). I can see using them
with my MB Dragon figs to make a movie some day. Because of the odd shape of
the heads, I had to nix my plan to substitute the black heads for red pieces
so the eyes would show through as red. I'm now considering painting the
black heads red... The dragon is cool, but his mouths don't move (bummer)
and he has a huge honking sunken screw hole on his right side. The knight is
OK, but I'll probably substitute his head with a nice Lego one- I just don't
like his face.

TANK
Oh baby! I've been dying to get my hands on this sucker!
Overall- whoo hoo! The heads are different from the Double Dragon ones-
meaning they are interchangable with Lego! YAY! The heads fit PERFECT, the
helmets fit PERFECT, the guns fit...well a little tight, but still work. The
M-16's seem a tad bit BIG, though. But I can still live with it. I took some
shots of the tank next to my MB tank for comparison. You can see how it's
much smaller, but at the same time- far more realistic looking. The details
are great- it just looks like it just rolled off the battlefield. The gun
barrel is probably my favorite part of the Oxford tank and my least favorite
part of the MB tank. The Oxford one looks like a gun barrel and stays put.
The MB barrel is SQUARE, uses a sticker for the hole, and fell off so often,
I gave up and left it off...
Conclusion- I now have a squad of 3 helmeted soldiers and their beret'ed
commander along with 4 M-16's, some kind of sniper rifle, an M60, an ammo
case, and a 45 auto hand gun. Oh yeah- and the tank. With a little thought,
I can now make my war movie

So, there you have it. It was expensive, but I feel because this is all
stuff I can use, worth it. I don't know if I'll be doing it again (though
there is other stuff I'd love to get my hands on), at least my curiosity is
sated. Thanks to Kingdomwinds for turning me on to these- I'm a happy (if
broke) camper!