 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1120
Re: Zero-G minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:37:20 GMT

In lugnet.build, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.build, Christopher Snead writes:
Hey, everyone!

Levitating nuts & bolts is fine, but I would rather be levitating • minifigures:

How I did it:  There is a building system called "MAGZ", which utilizes • magnets
and steel balls to build geometric shapes.  I took the magnets (they are
insanely strong) out of one of the elements, and discovered it fits perfectly
into a minifig head!  Not only that, but it doesn't prevent the head from
fitting all of the way on the shoulders! (Okay, so unless you want to • levitate
minifigs, that isn't that exciting...)

No, this all is very exciting!  I would like more info on your project,
Christopher-- My son would absolutely *love* to recreate your set-up!

-John

Oh, sorry!  See this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=10848

Um, just to make sure I've been clear about this, this apparatus didn't use all
Lego.  The electromagnet, the feedback circuit, the control circuit and the
power supply were made with non-Lego parts.  It might be possible to use an RCX
for the control circuit, but the robotics guys seem to think that it wouldn't
work.

I wish Lego would make a Mindstorms Experimentor set, complete with an
electromagnet, stuff like that.  Students could measure G, make things
levitate, etc.

Glad you liked the set up!

Chris