 MediaWatch / 834
833  |  835
Subject:
Article on "Expresso" newspaper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:18:48 GMT

This week's edition of portuguese newspaper Expresso had a three page
article about Legoland California, written by Tony Jenkins (New York
Times?). There is a description of the park's attractions, with a few
photos, along with the mention that Forbes has given it the title of "world #1".
A special attention is given to the catering dept., where it is said LEGO
"beats" Disney by using a very smart choice of elaborated menus instead of
junk food. It striked me that only a small part of the text is about the
models displayed (far less than in many other articles I've read before),
but it is noted that there is a concern with letting kids "build their own
fun" for a day, instead of turning them into "cash dispensers" for a week.
It is also said that there are lectures on "how to improve building
techniques" given by *motivated* workers.
In the end, the perspective seems to be that of a person who just wants to
take the kids out for some "human-scale" fun without getting ripped off -
and apparently this is the way to do it.

Pedro