 MediaWatch / 768
Re: Lego Company “Clicks” With NBA On Innovative New Basketball Game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:22:40 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, James Trobaugh writes:

                                                  As part of the product >line, LEGO Company will produce mini-figures in the
likeness of 24 NBA
players, marking the first time in history its mini-figures will be based on
real people.

Well, this brings up the questions of races in minifigures.  You could
assume that Magic Johnson would be one of the 24 players.

The cornerstone set, “NBA Challenge”, available in January for a suggested
retail price of $49.99 (USD), includes a full-court of LEGO mini-figure
players to bring NBA action home through multi-player competitive play.
Other sets, like “Ultimate Defense” ($12.99 USD) and “NBA Slam Dunk” ($7.99
USD), include single players in various hoop obstacles and courts, designed
for children to hone their hoop skills – LEGO style.

I would wonder about how many players will be included. In
Championship Challege II 5 players were included on each side.
However, basketball has 5 on 5 action, not 11 on 11, like in soccer.

Beginning October 28, children can visit www.LEGO.com/sports to find out the
first three NBA players who will be featured as LEGO mini-figures. The
players will be revealed through a fictional LEGO NBA Draft – a process
whereby three stand-out NBA players will be “drafted” each week, through
December 16, to join the LEGO team of NBA mini-figures. The 24 drafted
players will be featured in collectible LEGO NBA player sets, containing a
LEGO mini-figure in their likeness and a LEGO Sports Upper Deck® trading
card, packed in eight sets of three each. The collectible mini-figure sets
will be available in January for $7.99 (USD).

This sounds like a great idea, and I think I will be purchasing these.

Additionally, 10 of the 24 “drafted” NBA players will be featured in the
LEGO “Ultimate NBA Arena” – the deluxe set within the LEGO NBA product line.
Retailing for $89.99 (USD) and available in March 2003, the Ultimate NBA
Arena allows children to build a full basketball arena where some of their
favorite NBA stars can go head-to-head in LEGO NBA action. A special replica
NBA Spalding basketball – in LEGO scale – will be included in both this
deluxe set as well as the “NBA Challenge” set.

Once again, I wonder how many people will be in the "NBA Challenge" Set.

Well, this is a great step in LEGO NBA news.  Now, if only we had some
pictures. :(

-Kevin