 MediaWatch / 728
Re: Internet Freaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:46:48 GMT

Rob Doucette quotes Time Magazine:
...you always suspect that these people are half ironic,
that part of their fun is pretending to be obsessed. ..."

Pretending? *Pretending*? :-)

I enjoyed reading the non-LEGO community's reaction to the Brick Testament.
Invariably someone would post the link with a note about its creepiness, or
some disparaging remark about the site's creator, as if, perhaps, his life
would be more fulfilling if he spent it online reading web logs. Then someone
would notice something in the images that was unexpected, and some, at least,
would "get it".

I think people recognize on an intuitive level that minifigs are funny, but on
an intellectual level they just don't get it. The result is that minifig humor
is creepy to those outside the hobby. The next incarnation of the Abston Church
site will take this into account and be more weblog-friendly. I intend to have
some fun labeling the humor for the benefit of the humor-impaired, but I'm sure
some will find *that* creepy, too :-)

Amy