 MediaWatch / 567
566  |  568
Subject:
Concentration Camp "set" in NYC gallery - Israeli newspaper report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.il
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:17:49 GMT

In Maariv's "Weekend" ("Sofshavu'a") section, from Friday, the 22nd of March
'02, there is a big section with articles about places to see in NYC,
London, Paris and Rome over Passover vacation. I was browsing through and
something caught my eye. It was the picture, first:

I recognized it from the whole story about the guy who built the
concentration camp "set", got sued by TLC (IIRC), and raised a whole
bruhaha. The caption says "Lego concentration camp, from the controversial
gallery in the Jewish Museum".

Well, my interest was sparked. The subtitle of the article about NYC reads:
"From the unavoidable terrorist attack location to the controversial gallery
'The Mirror of Evil: Nazi Similies/Contemporary Art'. Nine recommendations
for the Passover days in Manhatten".

(A quick search on LUGNET shows this has been heard of before:
http://news.lugnet.com/mediawatch/?n=519
And the name of the gallery is really "Mirroring Evil: Nazi Imagery/Recent
Art". So much for double translations. :-)

Item number 6 is all about this gallery..:

It says:
---

6  Lego Concentration Camp

   If you don't have time or don't feel like running around museums, leave
time for at least two unique galleries being shown in the next month. The
prominent one is the biannual of the "Whitney" museum (Madison, corner of
74th st.) that is showing 113 innovative artists presenting paintings,
sculptures, photos and multimedia, in the museum auditoriums and for the
first time also in Central Park. The organizers promise "a party for the
eyes" (a feast for the eyes?).
   Much less "extravagant" but not less interesting, and certainly more
controversial, is the gallery opened this week in the Jewish museum in 5th
Avenue (Corner of 92nd) - 'The Mirror of Evil: Nazi Similies/Contemporary
Art'; in which artists are presenting works about the Holocaust, while using
similies and objects from everyday life. A "lego" box to assemble a
concentration camp and a commercial for Diet Coke in the background of
prisoners of the Buchenwald concentration camp are only two of the works
that have already been raising a havoc. This is going to be the most
spoken-of gallery in the city, and even before it opened, mountains of words
have been spilt on it.

---

Sorry for the rough translation, hope it's understood. I did my best to
translate phrases... :-)

Hope this is of interest to you. But if you're gonna raise a debate, you
know where to go.

-Shiri
FUT lugnet.mediawatch