 MediaWatch / 515
Re: New line of Material?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Melody Brown writes:
The following article was found here:

http://www.nikebiz.com/environ/pressenvi.shtml

Toys Safe to Melt in the Mouth?
Mattel joins Nike, General Motors Corp., Ikea and Lego Systems in announcing
plans to phase out the use of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) from consumer
products. Mattel aims at creating a line of toys made of organically based
materials, replacing the use of PVC. Greenpeace has hailed this as a
"revolutionary step." Greenpeace is an international environmental group
that has led an aggressive fight against toys made with pthalates. This
material is used in the production of soft plastic toys and because Mattel
is an industry leader, this is a huge step for the toy industry and the
general use of plastic. The European Union met to place an emergency ban on
phthalates in polyvinyl chloride toys that are designed to be chewed by
children under 3.
-The Washington Post, December 8, 1999, p. E1

Mel

This is from some time ago, but thought it might interest someone.
I know that when I was looking seriously at the Primo sections of the
catalog back when Hazel was born (1998), they (LEGO) were making a big deal
about their use of silicone rubber (IIRC) instead of PVC. (Even, ironically,
in most dangerous piece of LEGO ever*.)

I suspect LEGO has never used much (if any) PVC.... my childhood
recollections are that Mattel definitely was...

Cheers

Richie Dulin
*The Primo Ladybird Rattle.