 MediaWatch / 35
Re: Interesting Article..."Students fashion a 'living' metropolis from Lego Blocks"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:54:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Beckwith writes:
From the article:  "In all, the city required more than 100,000 Lego pieces,
which the company donated."  Yowza!

I was disappointed to read that they made their roads out of construction
paper instead of the road plates.  I bet they didn't use minifigs either.

The stuff about the "Cricket" sounds interesting.  I wonder exactly how big
it is.  It sounds like it doesn't really do anything you couldn't do with an
RCX, but evidently it is small enough to fit in a car.  However, since it's
unclear whether the cars are at minifig scale, fitting in a car might not be
so great.

It looks like the crickets are basically Mindstorms RCX's, in smaller
packages.  If you follow the link at the bottom of the page, it takes you to
CMU's page about it.  A little digging finds the following pages:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~mr4/technology/sub_crickets.html

All about the crickets.  They have one on the page that shows it to be a
good bit larger than a minifig, but quite a bit smaller than an RCX.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~mr4/technology/sub_cars.html

All about the cricket cars.  They're certainly not minifig scale.  They look
nifty though.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com