 MediaWatch / 3075
3074  |  3076
Subject:
MASSOLUTION NYC 2013: LEGO ON INSPIRING THE BUILDERS OF TOMORROW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:06:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

MASSOLUTION NYC 2013: LEGO ON INSPIRING THE BUILDERS OF TOMORROW

By Eric Blattberg
Sept. 19, 2013

NEW YORK — Onstage at Massolution NYC 2013, LEGO Senior Business Developer Troels Andersen highlighted some of the company’s crowdsourcing initiatives and explained how they work alongside — and in some cases inform - its more traditional product development processes.

The Denmark-based LEGO Group is an old company with an established business model: founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Christiansen, LEGO has been selling its trademark LEGO bricks for over 50 years. Today, LEGO sells its products in more than 130 companies, making it the second largest toy company in the world.

But despite its success, the privately-owned company has remained agile and innovative, blazing a trail for other enterprises in the crowdsourcing arena.

In the weeks following the initial launch of the LEGO Mindstorm product, thousands of hackers cracked the hardware kits and did things LEGO never imagined with the programmable robots. Instead of pushing back, LEGO embraced the open ideal and built easy access into future versions of the product. It also inspired LEGO to explore other crowdsourcing ventures.

“We wanted to investigate crowd-based business models and find out how they were working together with the big corporate machine,” said Andersen.

In 2008, LEGO launched an open innovation platform called Cuusoo, which allows fans to submit product ideas to the broader LEGO community. Although the platform is still in beta — it just opened up to a non-Japanese audience in late 2011 - Cuusoo already has 412,000 registered users who have collectively submitted more than 5,500 product ideas. If an idea reaches 10,000 votes of support from the community, LEGO will consider turning it into an official set.

“The difference between a fan-made model and a LEGO designer-made model isn’t that great, because they understand how we make our products,” noted Andersen.

Several community submissions have already made the jump from idea to realized product, including the extremely popular LEGO Minecraft set. Although LEGO owns the IP for all the ideas Cuusoo users submit, the company shares one percent of revenue generated from product sales with the community creators.

LEGO’s crowdsourcing initiatives will co-exist alongside its traditional product development.

“If we are interested in getting mass retail behind a product, we need to tie it into shelf spaces in stores,” said Andersen. “It doesn’t work with Toys R’ Us when we say, ‘Ok, we’re going to come out with a new product in three months, but I’m not sure what it’s going to be.’

“The way we’re mitigating that is to work with online retail for launch … and if it proves its potential to stay around long enough, we decide to offer it to more traditional retailers.”

LEGO recognizes there are risks to opening up its product development to the crowd — a very vocal community gets to see (and sometimes criticize) the company’s decision-making in near real-time — but believes the benefits vastly outweigh any potential drawbacks. The LEGO Group’s mission is not only to inspire and developer the builders of tomorrow, but to be inspired by that very same crowd.

Crowdsourcing.org

MASSolutionNYC2013

-end of report-