 MediaWatch / 2994
Re: LEGO Group Celebrates 75-Year Anniversary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, David Koudys wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Abner Finley wrote:

   From PRNewswire:

LEGO Group Celebrates 75-Year Anniversary

-snip-

   Source: LEGO Systems, Inc.

Prnewswire.com

-end of report-

I don’t know why LEGO states 75 years, and not 80 years? Shouldn’t 1932 to 2012 be a difference of 80 years? Unless the first plastic ‘LEGO’ element was created in 1937. Go figure?

Also, Space came out in ‘78 (I have a hat that says so), along with that yellow castle thingy...

;)

Dave K

LOL.... TLG was never quite behind the 8 ball when it came to years and

i may be mis-remembering...

But our family moved in August of 1979--I was 12.

And for christmas one year, I received set 918. I have pics and I’m in the ‘old’ house (a.k.a. prior to August 1979), so that’d be christmas ‘78.

The galaxy explorer came out in ‘79

Lessee if I remember how to do this...

    918 One man space ship
85 elements, 1 figure, 1979
LEGO > SYSTEM > Space > {Classic}

    928 Space cruiser and moonbase
{325} elements, 4 figures, 1979
LEGO > SYSTEM > Space > {Classic}

Check the dates.

:)

Dave K

   dates... although 1979 is indeed the first year for Space LEGO, Dave you may have a hat that announced the introduction of the new theme as it was being developed in 1978.

As for sets with children?? 1978 was the introduction of the modern minifigs in the Town System (although they had the minifig stiffs since 1975).

And as for the 1946 year of the first injection moulding machine... up until know I had always thought it was 1947??

But the 1932-2012 75 year anniversary has me stumped as well... unless there was no production during WWII??

But then again... LEGO came to the USA in 1961, but they celebrate the beginning with 1973 (dumped Samsonite)... hence the 1998 USA Silver Anniversary Bucket. And of course LEGO came to Canada in 1962, and they do celebrate that year (the 35th anniversary Canadian bucket right after the USA 25th bucket).

LEGO anniversaries... one big puzzle...

Gary Istok