 MediaWatch / 2938
Re: Blocking And Tackling: A Nasty LEGO Copyright Battle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 05:46:04 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Will Middelaer wrote:
Geller, who runs Hong Kong-based Best-Lock from the west coast of Canada,
said he decided to become a LEGO competitor in part because he thought it was
unethical that the Danish firm copied the British bricks invented by Hilary
Page.

I guess he never heard that they bought the original UK patent during their
1980's scuffle with Tyco.  Also, until that purchase, while they may not have
had any grounds to go after anyone who used the basic system (that would have
been up to Page's estate), they did hold a clear patent on many of the
improvements to the standard bricks, most notably just about any variation of
the internal tube design they could think of, and probably the ridges that allow
a TECHNIC pin to lock into the underside of the bricks (that one's more of an
issue for 1x brick designs excepting the 1x1 itself).  And while I can't say for
sure about Megabloks or Best-Lock, I know I've seen more than a couple instances
of clone brands on US store shelves with very recently patented LEGO brick
designs, which is a great way to get sued.

Interestingly, Kre-O seems to think they have a way around all of those lawsuits
by doing a mix of hollow and non-hollow studs on the top of every part, so they
can claim that any part that looks like a direct copy really isn't.  We'll see
how well that works out for them, I guess.