 MediaWatch / 2917
2916  |  2918
Subject:
LEGO Inspired Fashion Show to raise money for Educare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:00:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO Inspired Fashion Show to raise money for Educare

From Newsok.com, Nov. 8, 2011. By Heather Warlick Moore

Fashion show featuring LEGO fashion designed by local celebrities and students will be held to benefit Oklahoma City Educare.

Some serious LEGO lovers will be strutting on a catwalk this weekend, showcasing their creativity, flair for fashion and passion for the famous plastic toy blocks.

Video link. Newsok.com

At 8 p.m. Saturday, a group of the state’s top fashion designers, celebrities and college students will throw a “LEGO-tastic” fashion show to benefit Oklahoma City Educare.

Modeling the whimsical creations will be several Thunder Girls, professional models and local personalities.

Former Oklahoma City Thunder player and artist Desmond Mason is one of the designers selected to work with students from Oklahoma State University’s fashion design program.

“Fashion design isn’t at all outside of the box for me,” Mason said. “Now, I’m not saying I’m a designer, but I think I’m fashion forward enough, creative enough, and artistic enough to create something unique.” Mason said his team will create some unusual looks for the show, “everything from traditional to modern, conservative to edgy, simple to complicated.”

Other designers include Ben Kilgore, David Caldwell, Shanna Paddock, Nicole Moan, Teena Hicks, Lydia Sullivan, Kristen Vails and Ferris O’Brien.

Each team will create a minimum of three designs for the fashion show, and the audience will vote on a winning design team.

Sullivan, a local hat designer, said she’s excited to participate in the Block Party because it’s an exciting, artistic and unusual way for Oklahoma City to further define its cultural offerings.

“We have so many progressive people here in Oklahoma,” she said. “I think (the Block Party) is a great idea. It’s a different atmosphere — something that’s a fun way to raise money.”

Sullivan’s “Dream Team” of student designers plans to incorporate Sullivan’s passion for creative millinery designs into its three outfits.

Last year, the first Oklahoma City Block Party raised about $18,000 for Oklahoma City Educare, said Shaundra North Blundell, a representative of the event. Oklahoma City Educare serves 212 at-risk children from birth to age 5 with year-round early childhood education. For information about Educare, go to www.okceducare.org. The Block Party will be in the Packard Building, 201 NW 10.

The party is open to the public. General admission tickets are $75. VIP tickets are $150 and include premier runway seating and a reception from 7 to 8 p.m. and a chance to meet the designers.

Newsok.com

If you are interested: Tickets must be purchased at Blockpartyokc.com

-end of report-