 MediaWatch / 2792
2791  |  2793
Subject:
LEGO will double retail presence in two years (India Market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 03:37:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO® will double retail presence in two years

By G Balachandar Oct. 07, 2010 , Chennai

About six months into its distribution pact with Funskool India, Denmark-headquartered toy maker LEGO Group seeks to pursue an aggressive growth strategy on the back of the growing middle-class population. CEO and president of the 2 billion Euro LEGO Group, Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, who was in Chennai, spoke to G Balachandar.

Excerpts:

What has been the learning after your distribution pact with Funskool?

We are an 80-year-old family owned group. With just three shareholders, we are a value-based group. We always pursue organic growth and don’t do acquisitions. Working with partners is not an easy decision and we don’t this always. But as a leading producer and distributor of toys in India, Funskool has been a strong and potential partner. We have improved our presence massively after the tie-up with Funskool, compared to the previous situation. We have established our presence through 140 stores across the country.

What is your perception about the Indian toy market?

The toy market landscape in India is changing rapidly, and there is a new range of consumers. More importantly, there is an emerging middle class in major cities. The time is ripe for us to penetrate and expand. You will see a brand like Lego becoming very strong in the near future as we expect Indian consumers to show interest in quality toys that are safe besides helping a child’s development. At present, the market is highly fragmented with small players. Going forward, there will be more international brands and both local and foreign brands will see growth.

Is there any entry barrier for a new player? What are your key challenges in the near term?

We don’t see any entry barriers as we gather that Inspector Raj is history now in India. The economy is now more open and highly competitive and offers strong growth opportunities for a company like Lego. The general challenge is infrastructure that India needs to address. However, we see the same challenges in other markets like Brazil. But we don’t see any major challenge other than understanding the market and reaching out to consumers. These are normal challenges we face everywhere and we hope to overcome them in India as well.

What are the business fundamentals you plan to create in the immediate term?

We will focus on two things in the near term. First, find and strengthen a viable business model. It means ensuring profitability for our partners, retailers, etc., as we want everyone to benefit from the model so that they bet big on Lego. We are happy with the current model of working with Funskool and will continue to fine-tune this. Second, we need to create huge awareness about Lego and attract children to the specific themes of the products we sell now in India. We gather from retailers that the general perception about toys is waste of money. We want to promote that Lego is not just a toy but helps develop children at reasonable prices.

How big is your network now and what are your immediate term targets?

Though our current business in India is quite small, at the corporate level we intend to pursue an aggressive growth strategy in the coming years. We want to add 60 outlets this year to take the total presence to about 200 outlets, which will include departmental stores, book retail chains, etc. We intend to double this in two years, as there is strong growth potential. The most strategic point is to get the business model going and deepen the relationship with retailers

Would you set up exclusive outlets for brand promotion?

We don’t want to do that right now, though we do that in other geographies in a limited way. These outlets on a global scale contribute just about 10 per cent to our sales. We want to be visible through product experience, not by huge spend on marketing and promotions.

mydigitalfc.com

-end of report-