 MediaWatch / 2277
2276  |  2278
Subject:
LEGO® Group: Positive 2006 results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:16:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

ENFIELD, Conn., Feb. 21 /PRNewswire/

Positive 2006 Results Contribute to Securing Future of The LEGO® Group

The LEGO Group’s strategy to focus on its core business as a means to securing its future paid off in 2006, it was announced today during a press conference in the company’s Billund, Denmark headquarters. With profits for the year amounting to $271.7 million USD (DKK 1,562 million), LEGO Group is in a very strong position heading into 2007.

Following the financial reconstruction of the company in 2004 and 2005, the years 2006, 2007 and 2008 will focus on bolstering a profitable core platform, with particular focus on continuing its measures to improve profitability and service levels to its retail partners. The results for 2006 are an important step in the implementation of the second phase of the company’s corporate strategy and therefore contribute to securing the firm’s future.

North American sales of classic product lines such as LEGO® CITY, LEGO Racers and the re-launched LEGO MINDSTORMS® developed more positively than expected. Balanced by strong demand for home-grown, story-driven properties like BIONICLE® and LEGO EXO-FORCE™, plus momentum for hot licenses like LEGO Star Wars™ and LEGO SpongeBob Squarepants™, North American consumer demand for LEGO products showed renewed strength.

“We are very pleased with our North American performance last year, with sales growth in both the U.S. and Canada that outpaced the industry and increased our construction category share in both markets,” said Soren Torp Laursen, president, LEGO Systems, Inc., the North American division of the LEGO Group. “Consumer demand for LEGO products was higher in 2006 than it has been in four years, which underscores that our commitment to delivering a stronger core offering and more balanced LEGO portfolio is exactly what consumers want. We’re confident that continued innovation of the classic LEGO play experience will help us maintain our foothold with consumers and lead us to growth.”

Laursen continued, “2006 was not only a strong year for LEGO with consumers, but also for our retail partners, who saw considerable growth in their return on investment in LEGO business over previous years, which is fully aligned with our strategy to become a much more valued partner to our retailers. While the results were strong, we did leave business on the table in the fourth quarter -- something we’re squarely focused on improving in 2007.”

Commenting on the global performance Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, CEO said:

“I consider the results very satisfactory. It clearly shows that there is plenty of life and relevance in LEGO products and that our strategy of focusing on the core of our brand is the right approach. We are however very much aware that, despite the good results, we do not meet all our objectives in relation to being a sustainable business. Despite the announcement in 2006 of the outsourcing of most of the production, the employees delivered a great and impressive effort, even though the pressure on the employees has without doubt been very heavy. Furthermore, due to the unexpectedly great demand, we have not been able to meet the retailers’ needs in a completely satisfactory way. In the coming years, we will increase our focus on meeting our objectives in relation to all our stakeholders”.

This year, LEGO Group will increase investment in outsourcing, IT improvements and innovation as part of its continued focus on meeting objectives related to stakeholders and retailers. On the whole, LEGO Group anticipates that the global toy market will remain unchanged and therefore LEGO Group’s largest markets, the USA and Germany, are expected to remain under pressure.

Notes to Editors:

-- Profit for the year before tax amounted to DKK 1,562 million ($271.7 million USD) against DKK 456 million ($79.3 million USD) in 2005. (In 2005, profit for the year before tax including discontinuing activities was DKK 702 million ($122.1 million USD).

-- Net profit for the year amounted to DKK 1,430 million ($248.7 million USD) against DKK 505 million ($87.8 million USD) in 2005, which gives a return on equity of 34.4%.

-- The Group’s equity increased from DKK 3,589 million ($624.2 million USD) at the end of 2005 to DKK 4,727 million ($822.1 million USD) at the end of 2006.

-- Revenue amounted to DKK 7,823 million ($1.36 billion USD) against DKK 7,050 million ($1.23 billion USD) in 2005, an increase of 11%.

-- Profit before special items, financial income and expenses and tax amounted to DKK 1,348 million ($234.4 million USD) against DKK 468 million ($81.4 million USD) in 2005. This corresponds to an operating margin (ROS) of 19.5% against 6.5% in 2005.

-- The Group’s total cash flows were DKK 45m ($7.83 million USD) in 2005. The total cash flows in 2005 were DKK 2,549m ($443 million USD) due to the liquidity in connection with the sale of the LEGOLAND® parks.

About LEGO Systems LEGO Systems, Inc. is the North American division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held, family-owned company based in Billund, Denmark, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of creatively educational play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children’s creative and imaginative abilities, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: “Only the best is good enough.” Visit the virtual LEGO world at http://www.lego.com/

NOTE: LEGO, the LEGO logo, EXO-FORCE, MINDSTORMS and BIONICLE are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2007 The LEGO Group.

MEDIA CONTACT: LEGO Systems, Inc. Michael McNally 860-763-7825 / press@LEGO.com Website: http://www.lego.com/

Link: http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20070221/SFW06721022007-1.html

-end-