 MediaWatch / 2257
Re: Lego name used in Scientific American
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:12:53 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, John Barnes wrote:
I am very surprised that TLG tend to encourage us to not use their name and yet
permit journals such as Scientific American to use their name without even an
acknowledgement.

Well, I guess we probably won't know if Lego approved or disapproved... All we
know is that if they DID disapprove, they didn't have the will or the ability to
back it up!

It would be odd if they approved, though-- especially since their use of the
word is more like a term for "atomic assemblable parts" rather than Lego in
reference to a toy or to the company. Of course, it's possible that the folks at
SA decided there was enough precedent established in other publications using
the term "Lego" such that they didn't even bother asking Lego or bothering with
the mention, in which case Lego probably wouldn't know until someone told them
after the fact...

DaveE