 MediaWatch / 1864
1863  |  1865
Subject:
Converting the ROTB .mov to .mp4 (for Sony PSP)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:46:21 GMT

For those of you lucky enough to own Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP) and a
copy of the ROTB movie presented early last month (and posted here in
.mediawatch), there's a program you can use to convert the movie to a format
the PSP can recognize and play (mp4).

First, you'll need to go download Xilisoft's PSP Video Converter from
http://www.xilisoft.com/psp-video-converter.html.  This is a trial version
and will only convert up to the first 5 minutes of video from a list of
different formats including mpg, avi, and mov (among others).  The ROTB
movie is 5:16 so the trial version chops off the last 16 seconds (which is
part of the orchestra with credits), but the orchestra video was released as
a separate video that could also be converted using this method.

After you convert the mov to mp4 using your converter, you'll need to port
it over to the PSP's memory card.  This video will take up around 12MB (I
converted the 26MB version), YMMV especially if you convert the 12MB version
to mp4.  You should already know how to move files from your pc to your PSP
duo card, so I won't go into that detail.  BUT - I will point you to a
website that gives specific instructions on how to rename the converted
movie files and put them in the correct folder.  CONVERTED VIDEOS WILL NOT
WORK ON THE PSP IF YOU DO NOT NAME THEM CORRECTLY AND PUT THEM IN THE RIGHT
FOLDER!!!!

Hop on over to the PSP connect website http://psp.connect.com/ for full
video instructions and downloadable pdf instructions on renaming files and
making proper video folders.  While your there, you may also download some
videos they have for free.

Note:  There are other video converters out there.  One promising looking
example is ImToo http://www.imtoo.com/psp-video-converter.html.  I have not
tried any of these other programs, but feel free to let me know if they work
as well or better than the one in my tutorial above.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I still have the ROTB files
available by request.  If your too lazy (or other) to do all this file
formatting, I might be inclined to make a .zip package that could be
downloaded and placed directly onto your PSP's duo card...

Rob