 MediaWatch / 1727
1726  |  1728
Subject:
LEGOLAND California announces 2005 capital expansion plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:18:56 GMT

LEGOLAND California announces 2005 capital expansion plans
Family theme park reaches record-breaking results for 2004

CARLSBAD, Calif. (Jan. 27, 2005) – LEGOLAND® California announced the Park’s
best business results to date at a news conference held at the Carlsbad theme
park Jan. 27, 2005.  2004 revenue results are the highest in the Park’s six-year
history.  The park expects further growth in 2005 due to increased capital
expenditure plans.

Attendance was up nearly ten percent over the prior year at LEGOLAND California.  The Park ended 2004 at 1.42 million guests.  This dramatic attendance growth shatters the 2004 industry average of 4 percent in North American parks, as reported by Amusement Business.   Meanwhile, Park revenue grew by more than eleven percent from 2003 to 2004, establishing 2004 the best year on record for the family theme park in terms of revenue.

“These results are phenomenal.  We are thrilled with LEGOLAND California’s
performance in terms of attendance, revenue and guest satisfaction,” said John
Jakobsen, President and General Manager of LEGOLAND California.  "2004 was a
landmark year for the Park as we opened five new attractions to celebrate our
fifth birthday.  In 2005 we will invest even more money in the Park to take the
guest experience to the next level.”

LEGOLAND California invested $5 million in capital improvements to the park
during 2004 in the form of five new attractions.  In 2005, the total capital
investment is projected to be $6 million.  The park is building on its strengths
with Knights’ Tournament, a unique signature attraction, a large-scale
renovation of the popular Miniland New York area including the Freedom Tower and
a LEGOLAND® mini-golf experience.

“We are performing above industry expectations by delivering superior guest
experiences to our target guests – families with children,” Jakobsen continued.
“We have proven that our business plan is successful and we expect further
growth in 2005 as we create even more reasons for new guests to visit LEGOLAND
California while increasing our return visitation.”