 MediaWatch / 1675
RE: Monster Nation & Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:40:07 GMT

They tried to build a robot that could walk a dog.  It was basicly a line following
robot.

They laid out some paper, and put black tape (about 2 inch wide) on it, to form a
line.  They ended up with a room sized loop.

They built a chassis using a couple tricycle-sized wheels, heavy duty motors, and
acid batteries, in addition to a pair of LEGO light sensors, and an RCX.  I think
the RCX used some kind of speed controller to drive the motors.

The line following failed, badly.  So, the robot appeared to wonder.  They ended up
attaching the dog to that, and letting him wonder around the room.

They also built a LEGO dog, to stand on the robot, and keep the real dog company.
However, when they were testing the robot, it ran into a table, and the dog fell
apart.  (from the shaking caused by the robot hitting the table)

In any case, the line following just didn't work.

Steve

I don't think they were actually using the RCX (saw the last 10-minutes of
it), but used the lego pieces, servos, and acid batteries....

Ram

I didn't see the beginning, but I think they're using Mindstorms to make a
dog-walker/line-follower on Monster Garage.

Wish I was there...

Steve