 MediaWatch / 1459
1458  |  1460
Subject:
Busted By A LEGO Web Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:17:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

http://www.komotv.com/stories/30590.htm

March 30, 2004
By Tracy Vedder

BOTHELL - David and Nathan Sundquist just knew there was something wrong
with their computers.
"I had seen some stuff popping up on the computer that was weird," said
David.
They suspected someone was continually breaking into their home and messing
with their computers.
So, when the family left for a vacation in Washington, D.C., the teens
decided to stay in touch - visually - with a lego web cam.
"This just from a really old lego video making kit," explained David.
They pointed the camera right at their computers.
Everyday, from D.C., the Sundquists checked in until they noticed something
out of place.
"I logged on and I saw a cord coming out of the boxes next to the computer
and running downstairs, that's weird," said David.
The teens suspected the intruder might actually be staying in their house.
To catch him, the two again used their computer skills to remotely turn on
some really loud music and see what might happen.
Bingo!
The crime fighting duo caught pictures of an 18-year-old neighbor inside
their house, rushing to turn off the music.
The Sundquists immediately called the cops.
"When it finally happened, Dave and I were like, 'Yeah, we got him! Yeah!"
It was so cool, we felt special," said Nathan.
Snohomish Sheriff's deputies used the home's own intercom system to talk to
the burglar. They told him to come out with his hands in the air.
When the intruder didn't surrender, deputies searched the house and found
him hiding in a shower.
Diane Sundquist is proud of her boys.
"Maybe it'll stop other people from crossing other boundaries that they
shouldn't cross," she said.
As for the real-life spy kids? "Yeah, this is awesome, this is really cool!"
said David.
The alleged burglar bonded out of jail. Then he wrote an apology to the
Sundquists. The family hopes this is the lesson he needs to turn his life
around.

--
James Stacey
------