 MediaWatch / 1241
Re: Bricking It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:31:42 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, James Stacey wrote:
We are part of a net craze apparently. Who knew!
http://www.news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1278982003

Did anyone else find this article 'odd'.... to say the least?

A good copy editor might have asked a researcher to double check the date the
author claimed that LEGO bricks were created.  They might then have found it was
1947 and not 1932 as noted in the article.  Or they might have been even more
accurate and noted the specific creation of the "stud and tube" mechanism and
its patent in 1958.  That would have been a good start.

But look at what the article claims to be about.  It begins by telling us that
LEGO has, "led to an unlikely online creative outpouring".  What strikes me as
strange is that the one gathering point for creative outpouring of LEGO
creations isn't even mentioned.  There is no link to Brickshelf.  It would be
hard to imagine a greater example of people displaying their works in such a
collective manner.

There are some interesting links to Henry Lim's early work and to Pixelego...
which of course hasn't been distributed in over two years.  While there are no
dead links (that I could find) there don't appear to be any new links either.
Ed Boxer's page is an example of this... as it doesn't appear to have been
updated in a couple years either.

So for an article that claims to help put you at, "the cutting edge of net
culture", there isn't a lot of cutting edge to be found in this text.  It makes
me wonder if part or all of this article hasn't sat on a virtual shelf for many
months or longer, only to be dragged out and posted on November 19, 2003.

Weird.

Oh, and the dancing hamsters reference at the top of the article... Weren't the
hamsters yesterday's news around 1999?  Makes the title of the article all the
more appropriate... "LAZY Guide to Net Culture:  Bricking It"

All the best,
Allan B.