 MediaWatch / 1162
1161  |  1163
Subject:
Brick Testament in Entertainment Weekly and Budget Living
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:01:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

There is an item about The Brick Testament: Stories from the Book of Genesis in this week’s (3 October 2003) issue of Entertainment Weekly. It’s on page 78, in the book reviews section. Here’s a scan of it:

Also, there is an item about the book in the October/November issue of Budget Living. I haven’t found a copy of it yet, but Kristine Birnbaum was kind enough to e-mail me the text of the item:

SPEAKING VOLUMES

Get Between the Covers This Fall

Hot new reads--from leggy dames to LEGOs.

From the profane to the sacred, sort of: Two years ago, Bay Area artist “The Reverend” Brendan Powell Smith began rendering Bible scenes entirely out of LEGOs and posting them on www.bricktestament.com. The kooky works were such a cult hit that they’ve been compiled in The Brick Testament: Stories From the Book of Genesis (Quirk, $15). In it, Smith revisits all the Sunday-school highlights - the Garden of Eden, below, Babel, the Flood - and offers a priceless take on Lot’s salt pillar wife.

(image of Adam & Eve in The Garden of Eden)

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith