 MediaWatch / 1081
1080  |  1082
Subject:
Legoland worker wins claim for disability discrimination
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:31:03 GMT

In MX News, 14 July, reproduced without permission

Lego reward no ‘armless gesture

An English theme park worker with a paralysed arm is expecting a five-figure payout after his bosses gave him a Lego figure with its arm in a sling.

Rob Jenkins, 32, was one of 58 workers at Legoland given a 10cm plastic model for long service.

The Danish company’s scheme rewards staff with figurines carrying clipboards or other items which relate to their job at the Windsor attraction.

But the sling was the only identifying feature about Kenkins’ present, and it had been placed on the wrong arm.

Jenkins, an attractions team leader in charge of 30 staff, claimed the gift “retriggered” the deep depression he felt when he was hurt in a motorbike accident 16 years ago.

He claimed he was left housebound, kept off work for nine months and forced to seek counselling from a psychiatrist.

The former employee has now won a claim for disability discrimination against the theme park and expects to be awarded $25,000 [I assume thats au$] for injury to feelings and loss of earnings.

Jenkins, of Sonning Common, Berkshire, said: “I received the model at a ceremony with other colleagues. Everyone else’s model related to their work - employees who worked in the gardens got a figure with a pade and people who worked in catering got one with a chopping board.

“When I got mine, I was shocked and disgusted with it. Disabled people shouldn’t be treated differently from everyone else.

“For two or three months I couldn’t go out. When you take years to get used to your handicap, it is very hard when someone comes along and smacks you in the face like that.”

FUT: lugnet.mediawatch