 Marketplace / Theory / 934
  Help me understand retail sales...

Hey y'all: I have read where some people here on Lugnet claim not to get excited about anything less than a full 40% off sale. And I don't doubt that people do occasionally get sales of even up to 75% off original price on Lego sets. Here is what I (...) (25 years ago, 11-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Help me understand retail sales...

Richard Marchetti wrote in message ... (...) Actually, up to at least 95% off (the adventurer's blimp set which went for $1 at some Wal-Marts). (...) they (...) the (...) they (...) full (...) the (...) There are several costs to a store for (...) (25 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Help me understand retail sales...

(...) I'd imagine they don't afford it. They take a loss. Wal-Mart and Sams Club take losses on items all the time just to get them out the door. (25 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Help me understand retail sales...

(...) We just look at the LEGO end of things--in fact they make a killing on other categories of products year-round. I'd bet that even when they take LEGO sold per year as a category they still make a huge profit. We see and buy the things that (...) (25 years ago, 14-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Help me understand retail sales...

(...) I think of retailing as a gamble, albeit an educated gamble based on all kinds of past historical information & tracking. The actual store profitability is probably much lower than the 40% differential that we think of when we compare MSRP to (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)