 Marketplace / Theory / 594
593  |  595
Subject:
Ebay - On the rise, or ... ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 04:51:52 GMT

I hate to say this (mostly because I've been around long enough to know what a
lot of people here think about e-bay), but I just continue to be mesmerized by
E-bay as a *seller*.  Granted, it's frustrating as a buyer, but as a seller,
what else could one ask for.

What I think e-bay rellies on is the fact that most people are lazy and
uninformed (yep ... so true.  I was/still am one of them).  Those of us who are
willing to do a little research and spend some time (opportunity cost?) end up
purchasing for example 6441s at KBkids, keeping the parts we want, and selling
everything else at awesome profit.

Another key thing about the present is the market of online toy stores trying
get traffic.  They offer mad discounts just to generate traffic.  How long will
that last?

So I guess once all of this is understood (buy cheap online, let the others
battle it out for outragous prices on E-bay), my question and concern is how
long will this last and are we (as sellers) in an ideal time.  E-bay is still
gradually climbing as far as lego hits (from 100 to over 2000 in the past year
and a half).  Will the e-bay market ever reach a good supply-demand mark, or
will the nature of the lazy/rich?/and uninformed buyer keep us sellers
profiting?  Will the stores (online) keep on providing valuable coupons for us?

Anyhow - those were just some of my q's for all you wise men out there.  I'm in
awe.  And in the midst of finals.  The good goes with the bad I suppose.

-- pn