 Marketplace / Theory / 546
    Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction? —Todd Lehman
   (...) A sealed-bid auction is a *DEGENERATE CASE* of an auction. They're only known as "auctions" because some bozo once upon a time many years ago called them auctions. The spirit of an auction is to solicit bids and use those bids in turn to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction? —Chris Ernest Hall
   (...) I would agree with this for a single-time sale. But for multiple items (like a securities auction, which is something I've learned a little bit about in the last year) sealed-bid auctions are perfectly reasonable for some types of (...) (25 years ago, 2-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction? —Todd Lehman
   (...) The gray gets grayer -- and, if I'm understand you correctly, then -- WOW. So (this is a question) there are types of sales in which each sale in an of itself isn't really an auction (because people aren't competing and counter-bidding), but (...) (25 years ago, 3-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)