 Marketplace / Theory / 380
379  |  381
Subject:
Experiences in recent selling frenzy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:05:33 GMT

As many of you have noticed I have come into quite a number of Set #2151,
Robo-Raider and have been selling them off in various venues.  I thought I'd
take a moment to relate my experiences so far and get others opinions on the
best way to liquidate a quantity of sets.

I purchased 105 sets at, let's just say, an incredible price.  I am planning
on keeping 20 of them for my own use, 20 of them for future trade stock, and
selling the rest.

My first action was to make them available to the online LEGO community via
RTL and Lugnet.  I offered 5 sets for $33.00 plus shipping (About 1/2 of the
retail price).  I was just trying to recoup my investment in the sets at
this point.  This did not produce very many responses but yielded some great
trades.  I now have a Maersk truck and a blue hopper on the way to me.

I then listed one set on Ebay (Actually two sets as I accidentally listed
the first set for 7 days so I listed a second set for 3 days).  This yielded
a great price of $12.50 (Basically the set's retail price) but it would take
me a year to sell off 100 sets at 1 set every 3 days.

I also listed a case of 6 sets resulting in a sale of $47.51 or just under
$8.00 per set.  Nice return as there is really no work involved in this one
and I could sell all of the sets in a reasonable timeframe.

I currently have 19 parts auctions on Ebay that consist of parts broken out
from 20 sets.  I'd imagine that these 19 lots will end up around $200
resulting in proceeds of $10.00 per set.  It took me 3 hours to sort and bag
the sets as well as an hour to post the auction listings.  I could have
broken these sets up into individual pieces and probably made more at the
auction but for a considerable increase in labor to sort and ship out the
items.

If the parts auction ends up netting over $15.00 per set then it will be a
clear winner and a good return on my time spent sorting the sets.  Otherwise
an auction of a reasonable number of sets, say 5-6 seems to provide a nice
return while getting your money back in a reasonable amount of time.

This is the first time I have had a quantity of sets like this and I thought
it might be helpful for anyone out there that finds themselves in a similar
situation on what they could expect.  Comments are welcome.

--
Scott Smallbeck
scotts@contactics.com