 Marketplace / Theory / 2529
Re: Use of trademarks.. is www.legoaftermarket.com legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 16:28:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Mark Papenfuss writes:

It looks like LEGO attorneys have finally decided to go after Brian Styles:

  http://www.legoweb.com/

Well, that was posted on August 7, 2002 - so maybe Lego's bark is worse than
their bite? I do not see how they could have let it go for this long with
nothing. Has anybody ever stood up to them before?

These things take time, and they are but one task on the to-do list. Plus,
we aren't trying to be jerks about this stuff, so we give people time to
make the switch.

We don't have many rules for what Web sites can do (and I've worked hard to
keep it that way). But the very few rules we have (no "LEGO" URLs,
disclaimer statement) are pretty easy to understand. This isn't just a LEGO
thing, it's a business thing. Not many companies allow their name to be used
in URLs. In fact, I just did a quick search for "Ford Mustang" and the only
URLs with "ford" in them are owned by the company. There are tons of fan
sites and builders clubs, but none of those URLs have "ford" in them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+mustang&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

Adhering to this policy helps to retain control over the brand. What we
don't want to do is confuse the message about who owns what to the point
that "LEGO" is another "kleenex". If consumers starting thinking about all
the clones as "lego" too, then that doesn't help anybody.

Anyway, not sure what is up with the www.legoweb.com site. I don't
understand why Brian would want to fight this issue, or why it is not clear
why we have the policy.

<BEGIN PERSONAL TAKE>
The thing that concerns me, is that I have been working really hard to get
as much for the fans as possible. To open up as many avenues within the
company as possible. Sometimes there are issues that I understand make sense
from a biz perspective not to give up or change. I completely understand why
this is one of them, and agree.

But when people start threatening to go to court about something like this
(something that seems pretty logical to me why the policy is there), it
hurts the entire process.

We aren't trying to be jerks. We are simply trying to protect our
brand...one of the most important things LEGO Company owns.
</END PERSONAL TAKE>

OK, off to call my mother and wish her a good day.

Jake

--
Jake McKee
Community Development Manager - N. America