 Marketplace / Theory / 225
Re: Garage doors (from lugnet.market.auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:30:52 GMT

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:59:52 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Note carefully that I am NOT advocating that you reveal the bids at this
point if you set the expectation with bidders that it would be
anonymous, I am referring to the "future"... whatever that means.

However in reading your initial info I don't recaall you specifically
saying it would be anonymous, or that it wouldn't.

I suppose that in the most basic terms I figured that if someone
offered me a cash to pull the items that I should indeed pull them
from the auction. I felt at this point, it ceased to be an auction and
became more of a sale, or perhaps blind auction, if thats the right
word for it.

It did occur to me that people might in fact want to equal this cash
offer, but I didn't want to give away what the offer was. The person
in question made a proxy bid and also a large cash offer. I did give
others the chance to equal this offer, but I chose to keep the exact
offer secret as sort of its own proxy bid.

Note though that while I've sold some LEGO via LUGNET, most notabley
Technic Space Shuttles at well below S&H prices, this is in fact, my
first ever attempt at an auction. I've only really participated in one
other auction to date, AucZilla VII IIRC, and I've never, ever, bid on
anything at eBay. I really didn't (and still don't) have a good
understanding of auctioning LEGO, so I gathered what I could from some
of the "standard" auction rules and went to work. If I hold any
auctions in the future, perhaps I'll amend and smooth over my rules to
account for cash offers, but I felt my statement about pulling items
before they got awarded was sort of a catch-all in this situation.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.