 Marketplace / Theory / 2237
2236  |  2238
Subject:
Marketing to children and their parents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:51:25 GMT

This might seem like a crazy idea, but here it is:

We keep hearing about how kids these days don't enjoy building, they enjoy
playing with what's already built. And TLG claims adults who enjoy building
are a small segment of the market..

well, what if:

What if sets were marketed as something that dad or mom could enjoy building
and then son or daughter could play with once built? This would snare two
markets rather than just one, and it would probably cause more incentive for
parents to buy the sets, than if the child just wanted them. The parents get
a great building experience, and the kids get a great set to play with.

A bonus is that Lego sets would become an activity a family could enjoy
together. Of course, the kids could help with the building and the parents
could help with the playing. It could be like playing a board game together.
Plus a lot of kids might get the value of building instilled in them.

I don't see this idea as too much of a longshot, especially considering the
factor of a large castle or pirate ship would appeal to a father,
especially, and there is a growing nostalgia among parents and adults for
the Lego of their childhood. As well, the hobby of sculptures and MOCs seems
to be expanding amongst adults.

This is all going by TLG's theory that kids these days don't enjoy building.
If TLG is wrong, and they do enjoy building, then marketing to the entire
family could still reap large rewards. I think TLG did this to some extent,
perhaps unconsciously, in the greater minifig era.. I certainly remember
building Legoland sets with my father.