 Marketplace / Theory / 1796
Re: Great town buildings available as part of Shell Promo sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.town, lugnet.promo
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 03:26:56 GMT

Christopher J. Dean wrote in message ...
      First, while my email address is a Deloitte & Touche address, my
opinions are not related to my employer, and no one should feel that
Deloitte & Touche supports my beliefs.  So please, do not bring my employer
into the conversation.

I agree!!

      Second, I offered the favor and asked for the same because • collecting
and talking about Legos is a hobby, for myself at least.  Therefore, I was
willing to do a favor, based on the Golden Rule concept.

I do this a lot. I'd be happy to trade favors with you sometime.

Finally, I want to try to start anew with everyone.  While I have
not been active in conversations in the Lugnet community, I have been
reading the posts from the beginning.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

    I understand posting this message to lugnet.town and lugnet.promo
qualifies as off the topic, but I felt it was important to apologize to
everyone, especially Matt Chiles, for my actions.  If anyone would like to
discuss my post any further, please email me directly, so that we do not
anger others who find my post a waste of time.

I don't think that it was a waste of time. I am sure there are others that
felt the same way you did. If we can make them see a new perspective then we
are sucessful.

I did forget to mention in my previous post that the Blue Hopper cars we
selling for ~$75 at the time Matt sold them to us. So in this case he could
have made a lot more money than he did.

Rose

In lugnet.town, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.town, Mike Walsh writes:

"Christopher J. Dean" <chdean@deloitte.com> wrote in message

This site is great if you like being ripped off.  Here is a little • price
comparison I did:

Set       Shell     Vault     Mark-up
#1254     11.99     45.00     275%
#1255     11.95     45.00     277%
#1256     19.95     55.00     176%

It's also great if you want stuff, still MIB, that you're never going to
find anywhere else. And he has a LOT of that kind of stuff, and has for
years. Matt hasn't repriced these items to match current availability.

OK, but is that bad? Maybe 5 years from now when everyone else has parted
all theirs out because they were so widely available, some newbie promo
completist is going to be awfully happy Matt didn't dump these at a loss • today.

I think this is a bit harsh.  Matt Chiles has been offering difficult to
find sets via The Vault for a long time (longer than I have been around).
Most likely Matt obtained those sets from European sources last year when
they were not available in the US.  At this point, those sets are only
available in Southern California, I doubt if you will find them in NYC or • NJ
(you will find the other Shell sets as I found 2535-2544 at a Shell • Station
not too far from Newark Airport).

It does cost money and time to track stuff down, get it back to the US • AND
also take the risk that no one will buy it or worse, a cheaper source • will
be found.  In this case it looks like Matt's sets are not priced
competitively.  If you don't like his prices, don't buy his stuff. • Labeling
his site a "rip-off" is a bit much (IMHO).

Well said, Mike.

Or did you, Chris, expect everyone to always do everything on a favor • basis?
In that case, can you do me a favor, I have some consulting work I need
done, can you come by and do it for me at say, 8 an hour, instead of • normal
Deloitte and Touche rates? I'll cover your expenses.

The workman is worthy of his wages. Or something like that. It says that • in
some book I read the other day. :-)

FUT market.theory

++Lar