 Marketplace / Theory / 1574
Re: Bulk up on structure parts at 81% off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:58:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Frank Filz writes:
They probably finally realized that people are sharing these codes. They
really need to do these things smarter (when they go to give you a code
like this, they really should just directly attach the credit to your
account somehow [you do have to register to order, so there should be
some way to do this]). What they are doing is worse than a real store
giving you a coupon which is just a photocopy or otherwise is something
trivial to get a perfect enough copy out of a copy machine (in the real
store case, you at least have to pay for the photocopies, and can only
share it with those you can meet or mail the coupon to before it expires
- a much smaller number than the number of people who can use an online
code if you post it somewhere). Another simple way would be for them to
randomly generate a code for you, and then have the system only ever
give credit ONCE for that code. Once it's been used, it can't be re-used
by anyone. Then, sure, feel free to share it. The first person to use it
gets the credit, everyone else gets a mildly chastising message about
trying to steal coupons.

FUT: lugnet.market.theory

Only tangentially related. At Christmas time this year, Meijer had some
"web site" coupons. That is, you went to their site and they had 5 off a
purchase of a 25 item, 10 off a purchase of any item for 60 or more etc
(making up the numbers...) The fine print said "one per item" but nothing
about quantities.

Well, I think they expected that people were going to print off their pages as
is (one coupon per page).

I knew I was going to Meijer for a bunch of sets (they had the big UFO on sale)

I went into their pages to see the source of the coupons (just plain
old .gifs), and hacked up an HTML page of my own that crammed the maximum
number of coupons onto one page, referencing the images rather than using
copies) then ran off a stack of them. When I checked out, the cashier was
like "where did you get these"? Off your website, said I. After a manager was
consulted they took them. But of course the barcodes wouldn't scan (this was
before I got my laser, they printed on an inkjet rather muddily) so they had
to key in the numbers by hand. I had something like 40 coupons so they weren't
too happy. I did warn the people behind me in line that it was likely to be a
half hour to check out as soon as I got in line.

Not sure what the point of that is other than that if you're going to do web
coupons that I have to actually bring into the store, don't make me waste my
red and green ink printing worthless decorative material around the edge of a
page that has only one coupon on it, thank you. I'm not going to spend 20
cents in ink to save 2 dollars.

++Lar