 Marketplace / Theory / 1466
Re: a couple of great bid retractions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
BUT,

  As I am paying the rent with my Lego hobby til a new career develops, bid
retractions are becoming more annoying.  If the trend continues, it may be
more costly.  Bid retractions are increasing percentage wise in my
auctioning.  From 0% a year ago to 10-20% of my auctions.  Granted I am only
auctioning 20-30 items at a time and I am not selling super rare/expensive
sets, but I am concerned.  Does this mean if I start auctioning 100 lots
that I am going to have 20-25 retractions per cycle?

John,

I'm paying part of my college ed with my ebay auctions.  So I understand the
frustration you feel.

Probably not...

I would be interested if any other auctioners are seeing the same or similar
trends...I wonder if it's anomolous or a trend.

After almost 400 auctions, I have only had 6 bid retractions.  The explaination
given:

"Not a registered ebay user." Yet in 4 of the cases they had a rating.

I also got mine early in the auction cycle, so it wasn't to bad.

I just think these kinds of retractions are ridiculous...I remember a long
time ago I had one retraction because the person going to Asia on urgent
business before the auction ended.  He contacted me in a friendly/apologetic
way and by chance a few months later bought similar parts from me...all my
retractions after that experience have been ridiculous.

I wonder if there is an interest in lobbying eBay to change their retraction
process...I have no idea how successful this would be; I guess the
excusues/lies/cop-outs would just get better.

                 John

P.S. I just felt like venting/commenting on the days events = )

A little venting is good for the soul.  :-)

Jodi