 Marketplace / Shopping / 9753
9752  |  9754
Subject:
The sad state of LEGO® at my local Wal-Mart (Tampa, FL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:06:19 GMT

I'm not the shopping type of person, but I do go to Wal-Mart for just about
anything these days...except LEGO®. Despite the fact that they have a whole
aisle stocked with the stuff, let me give you the lowdown on their current
selection...

Bionicle
Jack Stone
Galidor
Star Wars
Harry Potter
And, of course...a smattering of Megablox (to keep LEGO® honest, in my view)

...of the stuff mentioned above, only the Star Wars seems to sell. I see
kids running right past the LEGO® aisle without sparing even a glance. This
is in sharp contrast to kids of 15 years ago at TRU when the LEGO® aisle
would have a fairly decent crowd gathered about. You can't blame video games
either...as we had the NES, Sega, and Atari back then too.

Perhaps TLG is trying to become an internet-only business, maybe not. All I
can say is that in order to find good sets, you'll need internet access.

Although I do love LEGO®, I believe that this love has to start from
childhood on up. So far it hasn't been encouraging with todays youth. C'mon
LEGO®, show us some of the good stuff at the retail outlets too!

-Harvey