 Marketplace / Shopping / 9741
Re: Big Sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:36:52 GMT

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, David W. Speck wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jeremy Scott writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Jeff Jardine writes:
Big sale at amazon.com: 2¢ off the Dark Side Developer Kit.  The price was
slashed from $119.99 all the way down to $119.97, so you'd better hurry:

I have noted this before, and I thought, "why does amazon bother mentioning
that they have a set for $.02 off?" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!  Ahh-STUPID-choo!

I think it's obviously an automated process, the item was probably repriced,
or
recently readded to their database at $119.97.  They most likely have the
original price stored - and it automatically generates the sale notice and
percentage.  At least, that makes sense programmatically.  If you really want
to confirm the reason, e-mail them.

Rather, they store the MSRP, and calculate the percentage from that.  The
odd thing is, until the DSDK vanished from stores, walmart.com,
shop.lego.com, etc. a few months ago, Amazon had it listed for ~$100, the
real MSRP.  I don't recall if they really said it was discounted then, but
I suspect they changed the MSRP when they figured out that they could get
away with a 20% markup---which makes it all the more odd that they didn't
set the price to coincide with the new MSRP.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/