 Marketplace / Shopping / 9619
NYC Shopping IV: Yoda turns up at KB for $90
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:17:33 GMT

Find of the day: KB Toys charging LESS than retail for a new set! This is a
first!

Jonathan Lopes & I continue to scrounge NYC for Lego. Actually, we've
covered most of our ground, and went afield on Long Island today.

Old Country Road has a TRU near Westbury. Nothing special, except more new
Bionicle, Cahdok & Gahdok set (603 Bio-pieces). Nearby Target has Onua for
about $4. Must be too much Onua. Alpha Team Bomb Squad had gone down to
$7.60 but is sold out. Big K had very little Lego. Oh, TRU Westbury has
exactly one of each Galidor figure. Smart inventory. So that's Jens.

Jonathan bought a Megabloks Dragons War Chest. $5 at TRU. Pretty good value
including 9 2x4 "stones", some rock bases, one battlement, and some knights.

Roosevelt Field Mall, that suburban jewel of Long Island with Macy's and
Nordstrom's and such, sports a KB Toys. Not much in stock here; even less
after we liberated a 7171 Mos Espa for $36 after squashed box discount.
Jonathan is keen on haggling. Lots of Arctic Mobile Outpost for $20
available, which is a fun set (I got one at that price long ago) but we
weren't interested.

Onward to IKEA at Broadway Mall, Hicksville. But first we tried to find Zany
Brainy or Noodle Kidoodle or whatever and I just couldn't remember how to
find it, or anything else in Hicksville except IKEA. But it turns out there
is a KB in that mall, so we went. What should greet our stunned eyes but a
Yoda marked $10 less than anywhere else! After Nassau county sales tax
(8.5), it's still just under $100. Wow! Of course, that ended my resistance
to Yoda. They also had a rather beaten up X-Wing UCS for $120, a rare find
these days on the shelf. (Tie Interceptors are still everywhere for $70.)

We checked out, and Jonathan encouraged the cashier lady to hang in there.
The store manager was haranguing her for no apparent reason. Life in a mall.

IKEA has a popular "Temporarily Oversold" table in the HUSAR system: it has
two removable top panels with about 3 inches of storage underneath. I asked
Jonathan if he was thinking what I was thinking. Nope, he was thinking it's
$10 more than the other table (at $79.) Of course he agreed you could shove
your Lego down there to clear the table in a hurry.

-Erik