 Marketplace / Shopping / 9394
Re: Galidor @ Zainey Brainy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:31:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Marlene Spears writes:
If you live near any of the stores listed here,

http://www.galidor.com/whatsnew/

you can have a "sneak preview" look at these sets. They're "action figures"
rather than brick or Technic/Bionicle products. This seems like a bit of a
departure from tradition, I can't say whether that's a good thing.

Has anyone bought and opened and played with one of these sets?

I havn't bought one, (I live in the south) but I have to say I am not
pleased.  Poring through lego.com and its magazines, galidor is just another
way for Lego to make money.  I guess lego figures that bricks don't make
enough money, so they are going into action figures.  This actually started
with bionicle, but at least you built them.  Lego claims you can
'build'galidor, but all they are are torsos, arms and legs connected by
technic pegs.  The only brick/technic in these are the 4 or so pegs that are
used to connect the body parts.

I have to say, I'm not happy.

Why are you doing this, Lego?

Well, there are marketing reasons.  But lego just won't be lego if it leaves
all the bricks to lego direct.  Lego is not an action-figure company.  And
even if it were, there are probablly much better companys out there.  I
doubt kids would buy galidor, anyway. (keep in mind I'm 12, and know lots of
modern kids)  Kids now days will mostly buy video-games, and the only
action-figures they will probabbly buy are the ones with arm muscles bigger
then their head.  (belive me, these do exist)
However, I think kids will also buy REALISTIC models.  I bet sets like Main
Street and royal Knight's Castle will sell much better then things like Town
Jr. and the Leo castles.  Kids will just be so impressed they will buy it.

BTW-  Perhaps FUT to dear lego, or lego direct?

John Kruer