 Marketplace / Shopping / 857
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:45:50 GMT

Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote:
Simon - I agree with you on this one.  The Target near me did exactly what
you suggest with both Halloween Buckets and Star Wars LEGO sets.  The limit
was two per person.  I don't know how they enforced it but there was a sign
in the Star Wars aisle stating that the store limiting purchases.  I have
also started seeing this with Hot Wheels.

And in many cases this is an almost completely empty gesture meant
to stop the obvious scalping (or the non-persistant scalping) and
the whining of parents who didn't make it to the store on time to
get the coolest new thing their kids must have in order to shut them
up.

I normally don't buy things that are limited in quantities, or as in
the case with the more expensive Barbies I get for my wife, I only
want one in the first place.  I never saw the limiting buckets of
any kind of SW Lego sets - in fact the day Target released them I
walked in and bought 20 Landspeeders, mainly for the macaroni
bricks.

But let's say they do that.  Here's how poorly it works.  They have
8 cashiers on duty.  My wife and I pick up the limit and go to two
cashiers.  Then we walk out and come back in, repeating the process
with two more cashiers, and so on.

Now like I said I haven't had to deal with this, but people who want
to get around these little artificial limits will do it.  Or maybe
Ed Boxer doesn't and is unable to complete a project that would
rival his original castle because he decides to "obey" one of these
silly limits.

This brings up an issue (in my mind anyway) that currently plagues
me with respect to getting the awesome prices I find on DVDs online.
Whereas most print coupons you find and use at brick and mortar
stores specify one per _customer_ most online coupons specify one
per _household_.

I happen to think this is a crock, because in a very real sense, my
wife and I are both big DVD fans, with very different tastes, as
evidenced by the fact that we just ordered Ever After and American
President for HER the other night while a month or so ago we ordered
Full Metal Jacket for ME.  But even though we're both adults working
full-time jobs, making separate paychecks with very different
interests in movies, because we share a billing address we are
unable, as two distinct consumers, to both use some (alot) online
DVD coupons.  Some we can because we have a multitude of cards that
all have different numbers, which is what some companies check on,
and we do have slightly different shipping addresses (although we
work 20 feet from each other).

But on those that won't work I simply have her parents order the DVD
with the coupon and have it shipped to their address, then they
bring them up whenever they visit.  Some might say that's breaking
the "rules" but I say the rule itself is stupid if it denies two
adult consumers who happen to be living in the same home the ability
to purchase separate items.

Wonder where the Great One who Makes No Mistakes would stand on that
little issue?

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/