 Marketplace / Shopping / 6713
6712  |  6714
Subject:
RIP Bradlee's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:18:52 GMT

Alas, Bradlee's has sold its final 2 Lego sets in Manhattan.

The store is closing down in a messy closeout shambles.

Having given a good home to so many of their Lego sets during various 20%
and 40% off sales, and enjoyed their poor inventory management policies at
times (read: old stock), I undertook to give a loving home to a damaged
Arachnoid Star Base (final discount: 60% off for $36) and Tunnel Transport
($20).  And that does it for Lego at Bradlee's.  Someone else will have to
absorb the Megabloks.

So many memories, so many Cowboys sets! Royal Drawbridge seven times. The
last year of Pirates, Roboforce on clearance, and yeah, the first couple
hundred dollars I spent on Star Wars sets! Blue tubs and red-silver buckets
on warehouse pallets, ah. It was good to have you kitty-corner from Toys R
Us, underselling their MSRP (Manhattan Standard Retail Price), but your poor
retail policies doomed you to fall victim to the hungry horde of younger
stores like Target and Kmart with price scanners and good floor flow.

Bradlee's, you are now dust and debris, along with Woolworth's, which is
only a memory of early 90's Castle and Space sets left lingering into 1996
while I scoffed at the POOPs.  May you soon be reborn as something hipper
and lively (Target would be nice but Kohl's would also be acceptable.)

-Erik