 Marketplace / Shopping / 4413
4412  |  4414
Subject:
My first FOTW...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:44:55 GMT

O.K., I'm a piker by the standards of many of you here, but I just wanted to
share.  Also, I learned an important lesson about buying opened boxes...

I found five 6599 sets at a San Jose, California K-Mart.  The stickers showed
that they had been marked down to $2.00 on clearance (from an MSRP of $9.99).  I
noticed that THREE of the five boxes had been opened.  So I looked through them.
All of them were intact save one, which was missing the polybags but still had
one diver minifig and two fish.

When I got up to the reigster, I offered to take the opened box for $1.00.  The
cashier said, "If it has missing parts, we can't sell it to you," and she
swiftly put the half-stolen box behind the register.  Oops.  What was more, it
appears that they were having an ADDITIONAL 20% off sale, as the remaining boxes
rang up at $1.60 apiece.  In immediate hindsight, I realized that if I had taken
the counter-intuitive step of keeping quiet, I could have had the fifth box.
So, I would be paying $0.60 more for it, but I had just saved an extra $1.60 on
the other four...

All told, I spent $6.93, tax included, for 220 new parts.  Even though some of
them aren't quite what I need (eight sharks and four swordfish?  Feeding frenzy
on the reef, anyone?), some of the parts are pretty cool.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology