 Marketplace / Shopping / 4202
4201  |  4203
Subject:
UCS in Tustin, CA / A tale of persistence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:06:12 GMT

   I wanted to let people know that I found the UCS X-Wing that I have been
anxiously searching for at the Toys R Us in Tustin, CA. They had three left as
of Saturday night.

   I also wanted to mention the value of persistence as it paid off for me on
Saturday. I first saw that they had the UCS Tie set but not the X-Wing so I
wandered off through the rest of the store discouraged.
   Later, in the back of the videogame section I noticed a stack of brown
cardboard shipping boxes on a dolly. (You know, the kind of boxes that you
always see scattered around toy stores and you hope will have "New Lego sets
inside! Open me!" printed on them, but usually only say "Playskool"
or "Mattel" instead.) But a couple of the boxes had the Lego logo and "7191 -
2 PCS." written on them. I didn't even know what the set number was for the X-
Wing, but the box was so huge I thought this *could* be it. (I had forgotten
about the Falcon. It turned out to be in another shipping box.) I went back to
the Lego section to compare with the other set numbers but nothing matched up
so the mystery set had to be one that wasn't on the shelf.
   When I went to ask an employee about my situation (Oh, wait--- It was my
*girlfriend* who did the asking! This tale of persistence is more about *her*
persistence than mine! I was ready to leave the store and spend the evening
pouting a long time before this point of the story...) he didn't really know
what we were talking, especially the part about the videogames on the other
side of the building. But he did come through for us; he punched up a bunch of
stuff on the computer to see what was in stock and then comparing the price of
the UCS Tie revealed the set number of the X-Wing. "That's it!" I said, trying
to stay calm.
   The man walked with us to the videogame section and cut open the boxes. I
practically grabbed the X-Wing box from his hands. He even offered to cut open
the other boxes to see what goodies were inside. (The Falcon was in one.)
   Well, that's the end of my story. Sorry it was so long; I just wanted to
share the fun of Lego shopping that I feel, as well as give mad props to a
very nice, helpful TRU employee and to my Lego-friendly woman! Thanks, you two!

   Happy hunting, everyone. Good luck!

   Coby